Wednesday, June 27, 2012

One Dog at a Time

I was waiting in the car with Caitlin yesterday while Rob went into Papa John's to order a pizza. A woman was standing on the deck nearby, talking on the phone loudly enough that I couldn't help overhearing every word. She was telling about dog books she had read recently, Marly and Me, From Baghdad with Love..

I haven't read either one, so I guess I'd better order them now, but it started me thinking about one I read last year, One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Afganistan, by Pen Farthing. It is the true story of a British marine who intervenes when he sees a dog being mistreated, and how the incident starts him on a mission to rescue as many dogs as he can. The story brought both Rob and me to tears. I highly recommend it.

Thank you, unknown lady, for reminding me.

2 comments:

  1. Another great dog book you is The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Told from the prospective of a dog named Enzo, it brought both my mother and myself to tears. Highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Someone else was telling about that book a few days ago, said she started crying and page 6 and couldn't stop the rest of the way through. It sounded almost too sad to read, but I'll check it out.

      Delete